HELLO EVERYONE! I hope you’re all having an amazing day – whatever you’re doing.
I’m coming to you today with the Travel Edition of EVERYDAY ESSENTIALS. Whether I’m on an around the world flight to Chicago to attend a trade show at the Merchandise Mart, ‘coming home’ to the place that captured my heart: Orange County, CA, or taking a quick flight to catch some rays in Spain for the week, my travel essentials never really change.
When I’m hanging around an airport, whether it be stateside, somewhere across Europe, it’s always important for me to feel as safe, comfortable, and in-control as I possible. The last thing you need when you’re navigating yourself around an airport is to be tripping over your own 6″ heels, whilst struggling to lug around an over-packed carry-on with you. So, I’ve compiled my travel essentials list with this in mind.
1. First things first – style. I’ve never been able to understand how some women can put themselves through the pain of wearing stilettos in an airport. Don’t get me wrong – if want to do it, or can stand the pain, then go for it! I wish I could… but I can’t. With this being said, I feel as though Style + Comfort = Travel Gold. Just because you want to feel comfortable whilst traveling doesn’t mean you can’t look good at the same time.
My go-to item whenever I know that I’m going to be trying to catch some zzz’s on a flight are leggings. Leggings are my staple piece when traveling. You can dress them up, you can dress them down, and they are incredibly comfortable to wear. My favourite leggings [featured above] are the High Waist Extra Long Legging by TOPSHOP. I’ve been wearing this brand of legging for years now, and this is evident by the 12+ pairs I have hanging in my wardrobe. I love to pair a cute-but-baggy, basic tee with the leggings – and you can never go wrong with black-on-black [Classic Pocket V Grace T by STYLEMINT featured above]. Along with the black-on-black, I love pairing a cute pair of basic, comfortable, ankle boots [Sam Edelman Petty Boot featured above], along with an oversized, tan bag [Featured: ZARA]. [Complete the look with accessories, and a cute, oversized scarf.]
2. Before the flight, I love to sit down, check my emails, catch-up on a few of my favourite blogs, tweet, and scroll through Insta. However, I love doing this all the more when I have a delicious “Vanilla Chai Tea Latte with two extra shots of vanilla, please” [steamy-hot, or iced cold optional]. Honestly, I usually consume two of these before my flight, and take another one on board with me to enjoy during take-off [don’t judge].
3. With most international flights, you have your own personal television in front of you, so, for me, headphones are a necessity. Sure, the airline provide headphones… but there’s just something about wearing your own headphones. Don’t you think?
4. If you’ve read my EVERYDAY ESSENTIALS: BEAUTY EDIT, you’ll know that I don’t go anywhere without my Chapstick Medicated. I don’t know about you, but due to the cabin pressurization on airplanes, my lips and skin tend to dry-out when I’m up in the air. Therefore, my Chapstick is more than essential on my travels.
5. Snacks, especially on a long-haul flight are another necessity. So, remember to pack your favourite snack to enjoy whilst in the air. My chosen snack is the Flax Seed 9 Bar. Being gluten-free, it’s one of my all-time favourite, go-to snacks… especially when on-the-go. I’d definitely recommend them 100%… they’re delicious!
6. Wherever you’re going, you’re always going to need electricity; whether it be to charge your phone, laptop, or plug in your straighteners. So, a plug convertor/adapter is more than needed when traveling abroad. I’d always recommend having 3+ depending on where you’re staying, how many things you have to charge, etc. It is definitely an essential.
7. I always find a compact mirror useful when traveling. As you’re always on-the-go, you can’t always find a mirror. So, it’s useful to have one at hand whenever you may need it!
8. I never travel anywhere without my Canon 500D. Don’t get me wrong, I do love my iPhone 5 camera, and it’s super convenient to snap shots for Instagram. However, when it comes to capturing a post for the STYLE section of the blog, or shooting in the busy streets of Chicago, Spain, California, or New York, my Canon is my go-to gadget. I also never leave on my travels without my 50mm f1.4 lens.
9. Last, but certainly not least; some good old literature… or magazines… whatever. I love lighthearted reading on the plane. Trust me, I’ve been caught numerous times crying my eyes out on a plane journey after watching, or reading movies such as Marley and Me [don’t even get me started], The Time Travelers Wife, and yes, even Click [yeah, no one ever really understands that one]. So, because of past experiences, I think it’s always best to eliminate any chance of tears by sticking with what you know… People, and US Weekly. The last thing you need when traveling is having to clear up any signs mascara stains vertically lining your face [to eliminate any mascara disasters, head over to my EVERYDAY ESSENTIALS: BEAUTY EDITION to see my go-to mascara brand].
If you are traveling right now, stay safe, and have an amazing time whether it be work, or play! If you have any travel essentials that always make it into your carry-on, be sure to let me know in the comments below.
Thanks for reading & see you soon.